Thursday, December 06, 2007

The Almost Moon

I haven't been knitting.  I started reading "The Almost Moon" by Alice Sebold.  It was slightly morbid, in a fascinating kind of way.  Once I got started, I couldn't quit.  She also wrote The Lovely Bones, which is excellent - and I highly recommend.

I don't think everyone would like The Almost Moon.  I think you need a bit of a dark side.  It is a dark, haunting glimpse into mental illness (and pure madness, I think).  It begins with "When all is said and done, killing my mother came easily", and that is how you are introduced to Helen, our main character.  I enjoyed the way Helen loves her mother so deeply and hates her so passionately at the same time.

Other than reading, not much has been happening.  I passed my Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS).

Oh, and in case I don't get around to blogging tomorrow....  Friday is my friend Beth's birthday.  Happy birthday!  Beth is also a nurse, a wonderful friend, and a shoulder I can always turn to.  She understands my craziness, and embraces it.  May we live long long lives of friendship and joy.

2 comments:

hoosier student nurse said...

I really loved "The Lovely Bones", so I'll have to read this. I just got through reading "Marley, the World's Worst Dog" and ended up crying like a big baby. I should know better!

CTJen said...

Congratulations on passing your PALS and Happy Birthday to Beth!