Monday, July 09, 2007

Bad Yarn Store Experience

In the nearby town, there are 3 different yarn stores. I like(d) them all, and visit them all. They all carry different items, so there is room for all three. I went there on Saturday, and I went to two leaving all smiles.

However, the last one on my trip was much different. I have visited there before, and they have never been overly nice to me, but never mean either. It is called the Stitch Niche. Now, I hate talking age groups in knitting, but the other two yarn stores do seem for a younger crowd, while the Stitch Niche seems to only have older women working and shopping there. Of course, it doesn't phase me as I've made friends with all ages through knitting. I guess I always thought the ladies at the Stitch Niche didn't seem overly nice because I am so young. Hell, I look 13. I always gave them the benefit of the doubt, and thought perhaps they didn't know how to make conversation with me. At the other shops, we talk about blogs, internet patterns, but when I've mentioned that to these ladies they look at me as if I have a third head.

My experience Saturday:

I am browsing through the store, my purchase yarn in hand, and a lady was getting assistance from one of the employees. She wanted something different than what the employee kept handing her. When she did find a yarn the lady liked, they only had 6 balls of it. She finally, very politely asked if there was any other yarn stores in town. The employee then proceeded to speak to this lady in a tone I've never heard - like a queen talking down to a peasant. She literally stuck her nose in the air and said "We are the ONLY yarn store in town, unless you plan on going to Michaels, which would be a very disappointing visit!" When she hit the word "only", her voice actually went up an octave. She walks off, and I approached the lady and quietly said, "Actually, there are 2 other yarn stores." Another customer joined in, "Yes, and very nice ones!" and the other customer begins to give her directions.

It really enraged me at first, but then I thought... I should give the employee the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she doesn't realize there are two other yarn stores. I'm not sure how she wouldn't know that, but maybe she doesn't.  (I've actually heard one of the other stores, mention her store to customers before.)

So, I have my purchases, and I make my way to the counter. The two workers are chatting with apparent regulars, who are also older (as in over 60). I don't mind, I can enjoy the eye candy of yarn around the counter. Finally, one says "Maam give me your stuff". I hand it to her, smiling, but I don't get a smile back. She starts to add up my purchase, and I say "Could you wind those for me too?" (At this store, it costs 50 cents a skein to be wound, where as at other stores it is free, but I know this and I'm ok with paying a fee for the winding.) She looks at me with a harsh glare and says "Well, it will be a few minutes!!!" I say "That's ok, then, nevermind." She then starts ranting about how she could do it, but it takes a while for her to wind it so I would be held up. I kind of startled, and said "Oh, I thought you meant I was in line behind other customers, but I know how long it takes to wind a ball of yarn, I'm ok waiting."

So, she has me swipe my credit card. Then, after my card is swiped, she turns to the other store employee, with my balls of yarn in her hand. She says "I am SO tired of winding YARN for people all day!" She then went to her ball winder and ignored me while chatting with the ladies at the counter.

It made me so angry. When I was telling my mom this story, she said "Why didn't you tell her to just keep the yarn?" and I squeaked "Because I already swiped my credit card!"

The more I thought about the way they acted through my whole shopping experience, the angrier I got. They had put a cast of anger and unhappiness over my day out, especially since they were my last stop. So, I am officially boycotting "The Stitch Niche". I can go to the other shops, and get treated like I'm a friend, and if the other shops don't have what I need, I can get it from an online store that is great like The Loopy Ewe.

6 comments:

Jill said...

Mandy, I'm all fired up! That is bull! Glad you told the customer about the other 2 shops. You are so sweet giving the employee the benefit of the doubt, but we all know she knew that they weren't the only yarn shop in town!

I've had a shop act put out when I asked for my 10 hanks wound but heck if the Stitch Niche is charging 50 cent a ball what is there problem?! (I've never been charged for this service - I think 50 cense is expensive)

Don't go back! Tell others not to too! If your still upset you could always call and tell them about your unpleasant experience and add that they are never nice and that you are never going back!!! OK, OK, maybe I'm getting a little crazy here but that upsets me.

So, what are you making with your new yarn? :)
Jill

P.S. I am jealous that you have 3 shops in your town!

wishiwerebuffy said...

Jill,

My new yarn is Koigu sock yarn. I have a sock yarn illness.

I was so upset on Saturday. I try not to get overly irrational over things (because I can tend to do that), so I have this thing where I try and step back and think of reasons people may be acting as they are. Thus, giving her the benefit of maybe not knowing about the other stores... But, they were so over the top, I couldn't make excuses for them anymore!

Karen said...

I've heard stories like this before (about LYS all over the country) and I'm sure I'll hear them again . . . . but I just can't help being baffled each time! How can a Yarn Store owner - or any store owner, for that matter - not understand how important the customer's are. Without customers, they have NO BUSINESS. Crazy, I tell you. I'm glad to hear you won't be spending your yarn dollars there anymore.

Cathy said...

I was enraged when I read your story on knittyboard and came over here to see where you live so I could boycott that knitting shop. I guess I'll be "boycotting" since I don't live in your state. I've had at least one similar experience at a LYS that "surprisingly" went out of business. What is wrong with people!?!
Cathy

Stephanie said...

Ooohh...that has me fired up too! I grew up working in retail and CANNOT stand poor customer service like that.

In situations like the one you described, I have written a letter to the store owner. If it were MY store, I would want to know if my employees were being rude to my customers. If you are mad enough to take the time to write a letter...people will realize who much this effected you. Most of the time, the owner will be thankful of your feedback and sometimes offer you a gift certificate to keep you a happy and returning customer.

My family still laughs at me that I refuse to eat from a particular Chinese restaurant in my home town...because I got in an argument with one of the owners nearly 20 years ago! hahahaha!

At least you have 2 other stores to patronize. It sounds like they're riding the same wave as you, anyway!

hoosier student nurse said...

Bitch! I'd still call the manager (unless she was the owner/manager) and complain, but even more, I'd tell her that I will never darken her doorstep again, and that you are telling every knitter you know about the poor service and rude salespeople. Why should she get away with it?