Thursday, January 18, 2007

Socks and Lace


Well, I have been knitting, but nothing much to show for it.

This is the first sock I have ever attempted. I must say I hate hate hate hate hate this. Not the sock part. The "I picked a boring pattern" sock. It's just a basic sock with straight stockinette stitch. Too much stockinette stitch makes a girl crazy.

And this brown thingie is supposed to be Branching Out from Knitty. I'm doing it in this yarn. It appealed to me because it was 100% bamboo and felt like butter. Only problem is that it splits easily..... at least on me it does. I have frogged it too many times to count, and this yarn cannot really withstand being unraveled several times. I just wanted to learn lace. I was ready to forget this project, but finally I read some things online that made me feel better. I read that many people said it didn't look good at all until it was blocked. That gives me hope. Plus, I finally feel like I'm starting to get the hang of it. Just ignore my very pink waste yarn. :)


And this is a picture of my 5 year old baby - Sam. Not the best picture in the world, but you can still see his total cuteness. I bottle fed Sam. He's such a big boy now.

4 comments:

Wendy, R.N. said...

Ooohhh... I miss knitting so much. I can't wait for this semester to be over already, so I can spend all my weekends and Wednesdays in the softball stands cheering and knitting.

I started a branching out, too. Got about 6 inches into it and discovered I'd made a terrible error, and I can't rip back lace except all the way back. So, currently my branching out is a ball of yarn with two needles sticking out of it. :(

W. :)

Anonymous said...

Nice scarf! I used a bamboo blend for a pair of socks, and they're really soft.

I know what you mean about stocking stitch socks being boring to knit. They're handy for picking up and knocking out a few rounds without having to worry about complex patterning though. :)

Marisapan said...

I have never knitted anything in my whole life. I am so impressed with your skill - can you knit me a new life?

Kimberly said...

Sam is a cutie. Oh and lace will definitely look soo much better after blocked. Just hang in there. Your first sock turned out great!