Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Tornado sirens in the middle of the night

I woke up at 1 AM or so to the tornado sirens. We turned on the TV to see the news, and immediately went downstairs to shelter.

The elementary school roof was blown off, two restaurants are totally damaged, our fairgrounds building is destroyed, several homes are either gone or have no roof. An apartment for the elderly has no back wall.
We were very lucky, we only lost a shutter than we know of. I had trouble getting to work today. My normal road was blocked. Apparently, there was a power line down in an almost flooded road.

I think I may go out and take some photos later. I will post them if I do. It's just so unbelievable. And we are supposed to have these winds again tonight.

Edited to add pictures.... (There are more on my Flickr page)


The Academy Storm Damage

My heart is with the many who lost their lives in several states.

9 comments:

Court Jester said...

Eyre,
Take care and I truly HOPE that all is well!!!!

MaddogKnitting

Krissy said...

Geez...

how lucky to of only lost a shutter.

I hope that you and your community come back strong.

CTJen said...

glad you are safe and sound--sending good thoughts your way!

Michelle said...

I'm glad that you're alright! You just never know what's going to happen. I hope you stay safe.

silencepainter said...

These sets of tornado's were horrible. Glad you're safe.

Crystal said...

So glad you are okay! I was watching all the devastation on the news last night and just broke down crying. Hang in there!

Knitterella said...

I've been hearing about this all over the news. It's so so very sad.

I'm glad you are safe.

hoosier nurse said...

Thank God you, your husband, and your babies were all right. We had the weirdest thing. On the night that the *s--t* hit the fan, we heard a crying noise outside. When we went to check, there was a cold, hungry cat outside! It came right up to me and let me pick it up. It was well fed, but stinky and hungry and dirty. A really cute red tabby. We fed it and made a place for it to get out of the weather. He made it through the 80mph winds and rain and stayed around for a couple of day. Then when he crawled in my lap, I realized that though he wasn't "fixed", he was front declawed. I knew he couldn't stay as an outside kitty, and since we already have six, I couldn't keep him, so I called the Humane Society. They told me to bring him in and they'd place him for adoption. I've been racked by guilt and worry of course that he won't find a home fast because he's the sweetest kitty ever. How do they always know to come to me?

Alice said...

Glad to hear that you are okay and without much damage. Been watching the news lately and it is sad and scary!