Monday, March 12, 2007

"You take a wrong step and you end up wearing yesterday's underwear, sitting on the carpet trying to teach yourself how to knit."

That's a line from The Friday Night Knitting Club by Kate Jacobs. I am currently in the middle of this excellent book. If you can't knit, it's still a great read. If you can knit, you'll love the knitting and the yarn shop settings.

That is pretty much how I started knitting. I was wallowing in my depression, and then suddenly, I was sitting there trying to learn how to knit. I graduated nursing school, and as happy as I was to be out, I couldn't remember who I was when I wasn't a nursing student. I had just lost my darling cat during finals - a grief that still finds me in the middle of the night and leaves me crying into my pillow. I was lost, lost, lost, and then knitting found me again.

I am not an excellent knitter. Probably not even a good one, in fact. I am slow. I haven't one finished object to show for the year of 2007, and we are well into March. It doesn't really seem to matter. I am still a knitter, finished object or not.

4 comments:

Wendy, R.N. said...

For me, knitting is about the process: trying new stitches, the yarn, choosing a pattern, etc. FO's are nice, but I get more excited watching a cable appear in my fabric, and knowing that I did it, and it's not as hard as it looks.

I finally started up again. I didn't realize how much I missed it. Well, yeah, I did.

W. :)

hoosier nurse said...

I never could knit. I've tried, but it's like a lot of things. I lose interest in about two minutes, and my mind starts wandering. I'm so glad you love it though.

ZantiMissKnit said...

I lost my cat George in 2000, and still cry over it sometimes.

And, your house??? Beautiful!!! So, so beautiful!

Unknown said...

Grief for a pet is the worst.

I'm still a knitter, even though I haven't touched needles or yarn for I don't know how many months! I taught myself to knit 6 years ago, and it's a hobby that ebbs and swells. A couple of my friends are having babies soon, maybe that'll get me knitting again!