Thursday, January 21, 2010

A loom and some shawls

Sometime since we last spoke about knitting or yarn goodness, I acquired this *thing*.



My husband's best friend was at some estate sale and asked what it was, and he was told it was used to wind yarn, so he bought it for me.  I had no idea what it was, so I took  it to my knitting group.  I was told it was a loom.  Hmm, what kind of loom?  So using Ravelry, I found out it was an inkle loom.

I am really wanting to use it, but have no idea how to begin.  I keep thinking that I'll have a day where I can go to the Woolery in a nearby city and have them show me what additional supplies I need and the basics, maybe even a DVD.  I just can't seem to find the free day to go!

Other things I've been working on....



I finished my Damson shawl but it desperately needs blocked.  My problem with blocking is that I don't have a blocking area.  I only have one room with carpeting and the cats would lie on it if I block it with towels on the carpet.  Any suggestions?

I started the Aestlight Shawl.  In Madelinetosh sock.  MMMM... let's talk about this yarn.  It's in a "copper penny" colorway, and it is BEAUTIFUL.  It does shine like a bright new penny.  And the yarn is buttery and wonderful.  I love this yarn.  I just happened to get it while on maternity leave in a Loopy Ewe update, and I am so happy with that purchase.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

A. Welcome back! Good to "see" you again!
B. Congratulations on the baby! So glad you are both happy and healthy!
C. Blocking. Here's what I do - I have two dogs so similar issues. Use the bed. We have a spare bedroom so it's pretty easy, but even if you don't, that's still ok. Start in the morning. Strip the bed. Pin your shawl or whatever directly to the bed - the pins won't hurt the mattress. You can lay towels underneath your knitting if you are worried about color fastness or don't want to put your knitting directly on the mattress. Point a box fan right at your knitting - it will be dry (and so will the mattress) before you go to bed! No need for blocking mats or taking up the floor. Ta-da!

Mandy said...

Thanks Rachel!!!! Great idea for the blocking. I have two spare bedrooms, and I could potentially block 2 at a time! I will give that a try and see how it works out! Hope the book business is booming at Joe Beth!